Disaster Relief Update
Our hearts and prayers go out to the communities of Granbury, TX and Moore, OK. In the path of one of the most devastating storms in history, we pray for the families who have lost loved ones, the first responders and the entire community in the midst of this trauma.
HCBC has had people on the ground in Moore OK within 36 hours of the event as part of the Austin Disaster Relief Network (ADRN) response. They have been actively assisting in debriefing and comforting victims and partnering with Journey Church in Norman to establish and operate a relief center. We are now moving to our second level of response and we encourage you to be a part by helping in one or more of the below ways:
"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."
We ask you to pray alongside us for the families, first responders and these communities as they look for relief, asking questions and mourning such an unexpected tragedy. We pray that they are comforted and find peace through Jesus Christ. We also pray for provision, unity and fruitfulness as people step forward to be the hands and feet of Christ to those impacted.
Donations of goods pouring in for support are overwhelming and more than sufficient. Although extremely grateful for the willingness of people to help, lack of ability to coordinate and store donations taxes the ability of volunteers to assist where needed. Here are some ways that you can give:
- Bring Wal-Mart gift cards to the Community Impact office located in the church offices – Building C on the Lakeline Campus.
- Make a financial gift by clicking here.
ADRN has volunteer opportunities to serve this Memorial Day weekend and next week:
- CISM/CHAPLAINCY DEPLOYMENT: 2400-2500 homes have been destroyed or severely damaged in Moore, OK (equates to thousands effected by this disaster). There is a tremendous need for minimally 75-100 CISM/Chaplain trained volunteers per day. So far, we have close to 30 volunteers on Thursday and Friday. Please pray about joining us in this deployment. We have 600 trained CISM volunteers to date. We need you!! To volunteer, please click here.
- ADMINISTRATIVE TEAM: ADRN is looking for volunteers to help with multiple administrative opportunities over the next 5-10 days. This position will be essentially a volunteer coordinating administrative tasks behind the scenes to make sure operations run smoothly in the field and at the command center. To volunteer, click here.
- CERT TEAMS/GENERAL VOLUNTEERS: ADRN is looking for 30 CERT or general volunteers per day to help with home clean-ups and leading clean-up teams in the field. To volunteer, please click here.
GO in the Coming Weeks/Months
HCBC will be sending organized teams in the coming weeks and months of those who are willing to assist with cleanup, assisting in the disaster center and reaching out to victims. If you are interested in leading or being a part of one of these trips, please contact Vern Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 512-297-8798. Continue to check this page and/or facebook regularly as further needs are updated.
If you have friends or family who have been personally affected and are in need of assistance, please contact us at CommunityImpact@hcbc.com.
If you or someone you know is struggling deeply with the recent tragedies, please contact our Congregational Care office at 512-331-2213.